John Montgomery Davis was a charter member of the Juneau Men's Igloo.
Davis was born in Liverpool, England on August 29, 1856.
After arriving in the United States in 1882 he lived in Pennsylvania, Florida and Massachusetts before joining Thomas Nowell in Alaska at the Nowell Gold Mining Co. in Silver Bow Basin at Juneau. At first he was a book keeper at the mines and later became assistant superintendent.
He married Frances Caroline Brooks, an artist, in 1892. They built the Davis House on Sixth Street and helped build parts of Seward and Sixth Streets near their home.
Davis helped to found the present day Holy Trinity Episcopal Cathedral and was an active member and secretary of the Cathedral from 1908 to 1912.
He served as city clerk and magistrate and for fifteen years was employed as a wharfinger of the Municipal Wharf until his illness and death on February 19, 1933.
Alaska Gold Rush Pioneers of Juneau Douglas Area 1880-1921 p. 36
