Parker, Edith Armenthia Haynes
Edith Armenthia Haynes-Parker married Abraham Lincoln Parker. Their daughter, Inez May Parker-White was born in Portland, Oregon on October 10, 1895.
The family moved from Portland, Oregon to Skagway, Alaska in June of 1899 on their way to Atlin, and to Juneau in April 1913.
Parker, Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Parker married Edith Armenthia Haynes-Parker. Their daughter, Inez May Parker-White was born in Portland, Oregon on October 10, 1895.
The family moved from Portland, Oregon to Skagway, Alaska in June of 1899 on their way to Atlin, and to Juneau in April 1913.
LeFevre, Emma Cooper
Emma LeFevre was a Charter Member of the Juneau Igloo Auxilary No. 6
Emma Cooper Beall was born on December 23, 1835 in Howard, Wisconsin. She was the
daughter of Colonel Samuel Wooten. Beall and Elizabeth Fenimore Cooper. Colonel Beall was the
commander of a garrison at Fort Howard, Wisconsin and later acting governor of the Territory of
Wisconsin when his daughter was born.
Emma was the grand niece of James Fenimore Cooper and great granddaughter of Lewis Morris who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
She grew to womanhood in the West although given the educational advantages of the East.
Her husband, George Lefevre, to whom she was married on September 13,18SS, was a noted
plainsman and scout and for a time they made their home in Denver, Colorado when it was a mere trading post. The plainsman and scout later became a judge in Colorado.
It was there they were living in 1867 when Mrs. Lefevre became ill and her husband sent her with their son and only child, Henry Belfield to Berne, Switzerland for treatment at the famous baths.
Judge Lefevre died on July 30, 1871 and his wife and son returned to America, settling in Oregon.
While essentially a woman of the frontier, Mrs. Lefevre was a writer of more than ordinary ability and at the same time a ravenous reader. She always manifested a keen interest in political
affairs and even during her later years she had a thorough knowledge of what was going on not
only in political circles but in social affairs generally.
From Oregon she came to Skagway, Alaska in 1898 and the north was thereafter her home. She
moved to Juneau in 1913.
Emma Lefevre died in Juneau, Alaska on June 30, 1926. She is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Biographies of Alaska Yukon Pioneers; Vol. 3; p 193; Ed Ferrell; Alaska Daily Empire 6-20-1926; Alaska Daily Empire 6-30-1926; 1910 U.S. Federal Census Skagway, Find a Grave Website
White, Josie
Alice Josephine "Josie" Keys was a Charter Member of Juneau Igloo No. 6.
She was born on July 7, 1872 in Goldendale, Washington. Her parents were Calvin S. and Jane Freelove Peck Keys.
She married Elmer J. "Stroller" White on December 30, 1891 in Tacoma, Washington. They had two sons, John McBurney White and Albert Hamilton, and a daughter Lenora White.
She came to Alaska with her husband, who was a well-known pioneer Alaska journalist.
They arrived at Skagway when the town was a tent city of gold-hungry stampeders. Mr. White took a job with the Skagway News, a weekly paper, and the Whites lived in Skagway until the autumn of 1899.
Then they went over the new White Pass Railroad to Lake Bennett. Although they did not have the $500 required before they could cross the Canadian Border, a barge owner told the Canadian officials that Mr. White was a cook on the barge. They boarded the barge in October, late in the year for a start down to Dawson, and they floated down the Yukon to within 15 miles of Dawson before the river froze.
"We went to Dawson for the mad excitement of it, "Mrs. White says, "We didn't know what we would do, but Mr. White got a job with the Dawson Nugget right away". They stayed in Dawson until 1905, when they moved on to Whitehorse. Mr. White bought the Whitehorse Star, and the White family stayed in Whitehorse until 1916. Their son, Albert H. was born there on August 7, 1907.
In 1916 they came to Douglas and Mr. White bought the Douglas Island News. "Douglas was the big town then," she recalls. ''The Treadwell Mine was going full swing."
The Whites completed construction of a new newspaper plant in time for the mine cave-in in 1917. The new plant included a cast-off press from the Empire. The moved the press back to Juneau from Douglas in 1920 when Strollers Weekly was established.
“I didn’t work much on the paper,” Mrs. White says. “I had two children to bring up and a little grouse-shooting to do. But when Stroller was sick, I would take over”.
Mrs. White was employed as the Territorial Museum’s assistant curator in 1925 by the Rev. A.P.
Kashaveroff who established the museum in 1920.
Her husband died in 1930. “I was the one who always talked getting out of Alaska,” she says.
She retired in 1950 and went to Los Angles, California to make her home with her daughter. She died in Los Angles, California on May 26, 1956.
1920 U.S. Federal Census Juneau; Biographies of Alaska-Pioneers1850-1950, By Ed Ferrell, V2, p.
344-345. Vol. 1, p 337; Washington Marriage License; California Death Index
White, Inez May
Inez May Parker was a Charter Member of Juneau Igloo No. 6.
She was born in Portland, Oregon on October 10, 1895 to Abraham Lincoln Parker and Edith Armenthia Haynes Parker. The family moved to Skagway, Alaska in June of 1899 on their way to Atlin and to Juneau in April 1913.
She married William Charles White on September 2, 1916 in Douglas. They had nine children, Henrietta May White born on December 19, 1917 in Juneau, Alaska, Charles Benjamin White born on December 17, 1918 in California, Gloria Edith born on August 27, 1921 in Seattle, Washington, Dorothy Annabelle on March 19, 1923 in Juneau, Alaska, Genevieve Williamina on May 9, 1924 in Juneau, Alaska, Anna Louise about 1928 in Alaska, Glen Edward White on June 13, 1929 in Juneau, Alaska, Alice G. about 1933 in Alaska, and William L. White Jr. about 1935 in Alaska.
In the early 1940's she and her husband established the Riverside Lodge at Gustavus which is now the Gustavus Inn. She was divorced William White in about 1945.
She married Archie M. Chase on February 29, 1948 in Gustavus. Children Eugene Sylvester Chase born June 10, 1921 in Omaha, Nebraska was from a previous marriage between Archie and Mildred Lightfoot.
Inez died on January 13, 1977 in Snohomish, Waslhington. She was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Juneau.
1910 U.S. Federal Census Skagway; 1920 U.S. Federal Census Oakland, California; 1930/1940 U.S. Federal Census Juneau; Gastineau Channel Memories 1880-1959. p 390; Pioneers of Alaska Membership Application; U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index.
Benson, Mary
Mary C. Benson was a Charter Member of Juneau Igloo Women's Auxilary Number 6.
She was born in March 1870 in Minnesota.
She was married to Byron E. Benson.
She worked as a table waitress in Dickenson, North Dakota in 1900. Her daughter Carrie was born in June 1890 in North Dakota. The family moved to Skagway, where Byron worked as a carpenter. Daughter Beatrice was born September 1903 in Skagway, Alaska. The family had moved to Juneau by 1920.
Mary died on March 20, 1961 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
1900 U.S. Federal Census Dickinson North Dakota, 1910 U.S. Federal Census Skagway; 1920 U.S. Federal Census Juneau; 1930 U.S. Federal Census. Juneau; Evergreen Cemetery Burial Records
Pugh, Veneta Elizabeth
Venetia Ellizabeth Pugh was a Charter Member of Juneau Igloo Women's Auxilary Number 6.
She was born in the U.S. Customs House in Ketchikan on August 13, 1904 to John F. "Jack" and Venetia L. Pugh.
The family moved to Skagway in 1904 and to Juneau in 1909 where her father was assigned as the Collector of Customs for the District of Alaska. Her father was aboard the S.S. Princess Sophia when she ran aground and sank at Vanderbilt Reef near Juneau with no survivors.
After her father's death she and her mother moved into the Baranof Hotel. Her mother started a tea house and she worked there and at the Baranof Gift Shop.
She graduated from Juneau High School in 1922 and from the University of Washington in 1927 and began a 30-year career as clerk of the District Court.
She married Karl Austin Hahn on October 12, 1935 and they moved to Skagway. Their son Karl A. was born in Skagway, Alaska in July of 1939.
The Hahn family and Venetia's mother moved to Anchorage in 1947 and lived on Government Hill in a Quonset hut until 1953.
She retired from the Clerk of the Court Office in 1969. Karl and Venetia moved to the Anchorage Pioneer's Home in 1987. Venetia died at the Anchorage Pioneer's Home on January 11, 1999.
1910 U.S. Federal Census Juneau; 1940 U.S. Federal Census Skagway; Gastineau Channel Memories, Vol 1, p. 425.; Daily Alaska Empire 10-12-1935; Juneau Empire 1-18-1999; Anchorage Daily News 1-14-1999 85
Pugh, Veneta Lauretta
Venetia Lauretta Fehr was Charter Member of Juneau Igloo Women's Auxilary Number 6.
She was born in in October 1878 in Cullman County, Alabama to Martin Fehr and Elizabeth K. Manshardt.
She married John Fraser Pugh in Alameda County, California on December 20, 1900 and they moved to Skagway arriving on March 18, 1900. Her husband was appointed to the U.S. Customs Service in June 1902 and they were transferred to
Ketchikan. Their daughter, Venetia Elizabeth was born there on August 13, 1904. They were transferred back to Skagway in 1905 and to Juneau in 1909.
Her husband John was the Collector of Customs for the District of Alaska and he perished on the wreck of the S.S. Princess Sophia on October 25, 1918.
Veneta and her daughter worked in Juneau for the District Clerk of the U.S. Court. Venetia remarried to District Judge Thomas M. Reed on February 24, 1924 in Seattle. They resided in Juneau.
Venetia died in November 1967 in Anchorage, Alaska.
1910/1920 U.S. Federal Census Juneau; Gastineau Channel Memories Vol 1.,p 425, Washington Marriage Records; Alaska Daily Empire 2-25-1924
Tressing, Carrie
Carol "Carrie" B. Benson was a Charter Member of Juneau Igloo Women's Auxilary No. 6.
She was born to Mary and Byron E. Benson in June of 1890 in North Dakota. Byron came to Juneau in January 1898 to work as a miner. The family followed sometime after 1900 and they lived in Skagway.
Carrie married Simon M. Tressing who was a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army. Their daughter Kathleen M. was born 1913 in California. Carrie was living with parents in Juneau in 1920.
Simon retired and they were living in New Hanover, New Jersey in 1940. Carol died on July 10, 1940 in Queens, New York.
1900 U.S. Federal Census Dickinson, North Dakota, 1910 U.S. Federal Census Skagway,
1920/1930 U.S. Federal Census Brooklyn New York Ft Hamilton
Valentine Building
The Valentine Building, built in two phases in 1904 and completed in 1913, is significant for its Frontier Alaskan architectural character, its recognized importance as Juneau's most prestigious office building
during the first half of this century, its association with Emery Valentine and other prominent pioneer Alaskans and significant historic events.
Emery Valentine arrived in Alaska in 1886, possessed of a strong degree of entrepreneurial ambition. At the age of 10, he had already crossed the midwest plains with his pioneering parents.
He followed the Rocky Mountain gold fields as prospector and miner, and lost a leg lost in an early Colorado Territory mining accident.
Still following the gold trails, Valentine arrived in the raw gold camp of Juneau only six years after that significant 1880 Gold Creek discovery by Joe Juneau and Richard T. Harris. He learned goldsmithing—which led him into the gold jewelry trade.
John Olds, one of the first sourdough prospectors following Juneau and Harris, recalled that,"We landed our canoe on November, 1880, at the foot of where Seward Street new is. . ." This site, just at the-tide mark, was registered, in 1881 as a mining claim, the Boston Lode.
In 1896, yhe year after Valentine's Alaskan arrival, Ernest Ingersoll's best-selling book, Gold Fields of the Klondyke, proclaimed "Juneau, a town of 3,000 is rightly called the metropolis of Alaska Territory. Whether she will retain this prestige remains to be seen. If so, one of two things must occur. She must plane down
the side of her mountains or erect skyscraping buildings with elevators to accommodate her populace, for nearly every foot of available ground is already occupied. . ."
Emery Valentine was foremost among the developers who found a better way.
When he arrived in Juneau, Front Street was the high tide beach of Gastineau Channel. Emery Valentine, accordingly, was among those who set progress by filling in ground along this derelict beachline. This enabled Valentine to build the first segment of his first building.
"Walking up the stairs to the second floor of the Valentine Building . . . is a trip back into what was the most prestigious business building of Juneau in the early 1900's, built by one of Juneau's colorful pioneer characters ..." according to Toni Croft & Phyllis Bradner's Touring Juneau; Back Streets, Bawdy-houses, Bars & Bodacious Biographies.
In 1913, the Valentine Building block was advantageously enlarged to include the prime corner lot at Seward and Front Streets. The 1904 structure not only doubled in size, but its impact was vastly enhanced by the most prominent corner location of two streets—rather than only one.
Emery Valentine had come to Alaska in 1886 to satisfy a lifelong desire to develop North America's "Last Frontier." Valentine founded Juneau's finest jewelry store which occupied the city's test retail site at the corner of Seward and Front with exposure on both streets.
Valentine became highly active in Alaskan politics and civic activities. He was Chairman of a city council-type organization called the Juneau Board of Safety, and underwriter and private financier for the first Juneau Fire Department. Valentine served six successful terms as Mayor after Juneau was incorporated in 1900.
Emery Valentine proved his deep commitment to development of Southeastern Alaska. As one of the largest property owners in southeastern Alaska, he helped found the Alaska Steamship Line, the foremost freight and passenger ocean line with service to Seattle. He founded the Peoples Wharf Company Docks at Skagway and Juneau, which so affected shipping charges in these ports, that coal and lumber prices dropped to almost half of the exorbitant rates paid before 1900.
Valentine wanted to erect "a quality structure that would give Juneau a truer air of urbanity."
The Valentine Building was the first in Alaska where office space was intentionally separated from retail space. The building's reputation for quality offices, gained over the years, and its ideal central downtown location, as well as architectural quality, provided elite tenancy for the first half of the century.
Architecturally, the Valentine building is an outstanding example of frontier Commercial architecture that recalls a pioneer Alaskan tradition of quality craftswork; the design responding and interpreting the contemporary architectural developments of the late 19th century West Coast.
Despite intentions to the contrary, the building is a vernacular one; yet impressive in its execution of style. The isolation of Juneau at that time, plus the popularity of pattern books as architectural design aids, provided the fine ornamentation of the building which was available from Seattle millworks).
Stylistically, Valentine Building provides documentation of an historic design evolution.
It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
